Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bucs Update

Bucs starting QB Josh Freeman during training camp (Cliff Welch/Pewter Report)
The Buccaneers are heading into 2010 with second-year quarterback Josh Freeman as their unquestioned leader. Head coach Raheem Morris sees improvement out of Freeman and says his receivers are "flocking" to him. Find out what WRs Williams and Brown says about developing a relationship with him.

The face of the franchise in Tampa Bay is a 22-year old quarterback with only nine career starts under his belt. Second-year QB Josh Freeman is the unquestioned starter and leader of the Buccaneers, a team that is trying to move on from a disappointing 3-13 season last year.

This training camp is all about building upon what Freeman started last year. He won his first career start against Green Bay at Raymond James Stadium and finished his rookie season 3-6 as a starter with 1,855 yards, 10 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

Head coach Raheem Morris has said repeatedly, "it starts with No. 5" and Freeman seems to be pleasing the man overseeing everything thus far in practice.

"He has gotten progressively better throughout camp. We thought that would come," said Morris. "He came out that first day with the jitters... and he didn't look as good. He didn't go through his progressions well, but today and yesterday he did a better job of getting better. He's do well and you just have to get better and better everyday. Once we stop installing, you will get a chance to really see him excel even more."

Freeman, the Bucs first-round pick in 2009, will enter the 2010 season with a lot of fresh faces around him. Antonio Bryant, Freeman's No. 1 receiver last season, left via free agency. This offseason, the Bucs traded for wide receiver Reggie Brown and drafted receivers Arrelious Benn and Mike Williams to help surround Freeman with some playmakers.

The receivers have embraced Freeman so far and are forming a bond with their 6-foot-6, 248-pound signal caller.

"The chemistry that that group has and the pride that they are displaying comes as a reflection of their coach -- Coach [Eric] Yarber," said Morris. "It's been awesome because they are all flocking to Josh. They all want to catch more balls from Josh because they know that's their opportunity to and they want him to say, ‘Hey, that's my favorite target.' It's a beautiful thing."

One player that Freeman has taken a liking to is rookie Mike Williams. Williams, drafted by the Bucs in the fourth-round of the 2010 NFL Draft, seems to be Freeman's favorite target and the two of them have hooked up on some deep balls repeatedly in practice so far.

The Syracuse product Williams has been putting in the time with Freeman since he joined the Bucs and results have been paying off.

"It's just extra work," said Williams. "Sometimes, out here in practice we don't even get a chance to hook-up with each other so, after practice [we are] in the hotel rooms talking to each other. Extra work - that's what gives you that great friendship with a quarterback."

Newcomer Reggie Brown, acquired via trade from the Philadelphia Eagles, likes what he sees in his new quarterback and can tell that Freeman is establishing himself as the general of the offense.

"I think he is coming along great," Brown said. "He has been making real good decisions. His reads are coming along real well. He always has the arm strength and his presence there. He is becoming a leader now. I think he understands his role as a quarterback on this team and I think he has accepted that and he's done a great job so far."

The personality and potential are there. Now all Freeman has to do is put it all together on Sundays and prove to everyone that he can be what everyone thinks he is -- a franchise quarterback.
================================================================
What does White think about left tackles Donald Penn and Xavier Fulton? Why is White already looking forward to Rookie Night? Find out the scoop - straight from Stylez.
I have to get some props to Donald Penn for losing all that weight. I call him “Little Body Penn” now. He’s got his weight down now and he’s got quick feet. I’m trying to make sure he’s in football shape now for the rest of the guys. He’s obviously one of the premier tackles now because he’s now been paid like one.

Just between us, he owes his success to me. Now I don’t want to take ALL the credit … but if you want to give it to me, I’ll take it, of course! Seriously though, now it’s his turn to help get me better, and that’s what training camp is all about.

I’m just now getting a look at Xavier Fulton, who was on IR last year with a knee injury. He’s green. He’s fresh. He’s learning a lot right now, but you can learn a lot from a guy like Penn and how he came up. Penn rarely gets out of position. That’s what makes him so good. If X can pick up some of Penn’s stuff and watch film of Penn he’ll become a much better player.

Gerald McCoy and Brian Price have been getting a lot of hype so far, and that’s a good thing. They are good guys. They are real humble, but do you know how to make sure they don’t get big heads? Remind them how many snaps they have played in the NFL thus far, which is zero. We’ll see how they get when the real success comes, but right now they are learning and doing real well.

The thing I’m most excited about with those two rookies is the fact that we have two rich rookies in our D-line room. It’s great to have one when it comes to Rookie Night. (Editor’s note: that’s the last night of training camp when the rookies take the veterans at their position out to dinner and pick up the check). Actually, with two rookie D-linemen it shouldn’t be Rookie Night. It should be Rookie Weekend. Why not?

I think they should rent us a private plane, fly us to Miami and take me to a place I’ve never been before. I think I deserve that. The menu will consist of whatever I want. Whatever the most expensive dish is – that’s what I want. If it’s lobster, steak and caviar – that’s what I want. I know I’m going to be living real well Rookie Night … I mean Rookie Weekend!

We’ve been playing a lot of 4-3 defense so far in camp. I want us to play some 3-4 defense. We haven’t got to that yet. That’s my favorite defense. Ask Raheem Morris. I have the athleticism to not only play defensive end in a 4-3, but I can be an outside linebacker in a 3-4, too. I’m a very big fan of it, so we need to hurry up and mix in some 3-4. I think my two favorite defenses are nickel defense and the 3-4.

I’ve been criticized for not being a great run-stopper. Have you seen me play against the run? I am not a run stopper, but I’m working on that. However, I excel at pass rushing. In the grand scheme of things, this league pays for sacks – not tackles. I can play the run on the way to the quarterback.

Isn’t that would Warren Sapp and Rod Marinelli used to say? Hey, it worked for them. It can work for me, too.

I heard that rookie receiver Mike Williams said that I'm his favorite veteran because my name is Stylez. I'll take it. The funny thing is that all the new guys want to know about the name Stylez, but they never ask me. They always ask everybody else. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment