Friday, June 25, 2010

Bun B talks about his new song featuring pimp c and 2pac

BUN B TALKS ABOUT 'RIGHT NOW' FEATURING PIMP C & TUPAC
Bun B’s upcoming Trill OG is slated for release on August 3rd. Bun B stopped by Complex and gave up a sneak peek at one of the tracks, "Right Now," which features Trey Songz, the late great Pimp C, and even a verse from Tupac Shakur. Read below to find out how the song came together.
It’s produced by Steve Bilo, a protégé of Pimp’s. It was originally recorded as a live verse and a chorus. My verse is from this year, Pimp C’s verse is from the 2000 decade, and Pac’s verse is from the ’90s. Pac’s verse was already there. We gave the producer the tempo. We stripped the track bare. It wasn’t like the track was created and the verse had... to fit on it. So we just built a beat around the same tempo that the verse was already recorded to. If I had to guess, [Pac’s verse] had to be from before the Death Row beef or it has to be around when he started putting together [One Nation], when he had Boot Camp and all of those people. In the song he’s talking about being in New York, walking down 125th, and being at the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Really, it was killing me. It took everything in me to not leak just a piece of it during the Puerto Rican parade. I was just looking at it like, “Fuck, the song should’ve been out yesterday.”

[The hook is sung by] Trey Songz. Trey is a good friend of mine, he was featured on Trill and I did an intro for Trey Day. I wrote and sang the hook initially on the song. They were begging me to keep it. I was like, “I’m not singing this, we need somebody that could really kill the record.” At the time there was nobody else I could think of that was really killing it like Trey was killing it. So I was like, “Let’s get it to Trey.” And he was busy getting his rehearsals done for the BP3 Tour and still trying to start his new album. But he fit us in and made it happen.

Pimp C’s verse was recorded when we were given a session to create a song for one of the last tribute albums. I’m not sure which one it was but it had to be whichever one was released around ’05 or ’06 because it was recorded right after Pimp came home. The song actually didn’t make the album. So somebody was going through the vault, it ended up getting pulled back out, and ended up in the singer Lloyd’s hands. [It got in his hands because] they were trying to get him for UGK 4 Life.

Lloyd was like, “Yo, we got this little session going on here with Tupac, man, and you probably might want this back.” So I was like, “Yeah, but I got to make sure I could use it though.” So we reached out to E.D.I. from the Outlawz, who’s a good friend of mine and cousin of Tupac’s, and one of the main people helping Ms. Afeni Shakur maintain the estate. So we don’t have any of those other type of issues. And he was like, “Man, absolutely, no problems at all. Go for it, it’s a great look.” And so we did it and I did a new verse and I think the rest is going to be history.

No comments:

Post a Comment