Friday, July 16, 2010

Bucs Pick Up Option on Freeman

Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman (Cliff Welch)
Earlier in the spring the Tampa Bay Buccaneers picked up an option in the contract of second-year quarterback Josh Freeman. The option ensures that Freeman's contract runs a full five seasons, and Freeman has more guaranteed money over the remaining four years. If the Bucs had not exercised the option, Freeman would have been a free agent after his fourth NFL season.

The Buccaneers traded up to the 17th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft to select Freeman out of Kansas State. Tampa Bay signed Freeman to a contract totaling $36 million over those five seasons. Initially $10.245 million was guaranteed, but since the option was picked up in Freeman's contract more money will be guaranteed in the future.

"I'm not 100 percent sure (about the money)," said Freeman. "All I know the option was either a fourth or fifth year. For me it just shows that they have confidence in me. They see me out here working and it is them having my back and saying ‘hey you're our guy. Go get this.'"

The 22-year old Freeman started nine games in 2009 with a 3-6 record. Freeman completed 54.5 percent of his passes for 1,855 yards with 10 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

This offseason Freeman has been a mainstay at One Buc Place working to improve for his second season. Freeman has put in a lot of time on film study, conditioning, working with his receivers, and learning the offense.

While many Buccaneers players are currently on vacation, Freeman continues to remain at One Buc Place and in the Tampa Bay area. Freeman held a football camp this week and found time to throw some routes on the practice field with rehabbing wide receiver Mario Urrutia (turf toe).

"I don't really rest," said Freeman at his football camp. "Right now is a good time to relax, but at the same time I'm always thinking of the upcoming season. I'm thinking about starting training camp. This (camp) is a great thing, and I've had a blast. This is a great way to take my mind off of my football, and focus on these guys.

"I still came in early and threw some routes to Mario Urrutia. He's a guy that is rehabbing right now. He'll be ready as far as I know, but I don't know what the trainers have in mind."

With the contract exercised in Freeman's contract the Buccaneers will keep Freeman from being a free agent at only 25 years of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment