Tuesday, May 18, 2010

SPORTS UPDATE/ TEBOW/ BUCS OTA's/ DWIGHT HOWARD 5-18-2010

Tebow 4th on depth chart... even behind Tom Brandstater!

Veteran Broncos PR VP Jim Saccomano wrote Monday that he hasn't seen interest in OTAs this crazy since John Elway was a rookie.

Tim Tebow is the reason for all the attention, but in some ways he's just like any other rookie beginning his first practices with NFL veterans.

As Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post points out, Tebow is fourth in line for quarterback reps behind Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, and forgotten man Tom Brandstater. (We've consistently heard good things about Brandstater, but it's hard to see where he fits now.)

Finding enough snaps for all of the Denver quarterbacks will be a challenge for coach Josh McDaniels throughout the offseason. We're sure he'd call it a good problem to have.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-

Bucs Urrutia arrested lol.. for some bullshit... its slow today
According to the St. Petersburg Times, Urrutia was arrested for a drivers license violation. It's described as a "violation of a non-resident drivers license," which sounds as if it could be as innocuous as living in Florida without getting a Florida license, or allowing the out-of-state license to lapse. Either way, it's a misdemeanor -- and it counts as an arrest.

Urrutia, a once-promising prospect at Louisville, has bounced around the league. He was on Tampa's practice squad in 2009, elevated to the active roster for the final three games of the season. He attended Monday's OTA session, but he did not participate due to an injury.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Winslow Recovering from a Knee Surgery.... Not at OTA's
Buccaneers tight end Kellen Winslow was not at One Buccaneer Place on Monday because he is recovering from offseason knee surgery. The surgery is believed to be Winslow’s fifth operation on his right knee in the last six years.

Sources close to the situation say the knee surgery was a minor arthroscopic procedure that likely cleaned out some excess scar tissue from previous surgeries stemming from a motorcycle crash in 2005 when he was a member of the Cleveland Browns. Winslow tore his anterior cruciate ligament in that crash and had two surgeries prior to having microfracture surgery on his right knee in 2007

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Raheem Morris addressed the absence of LT Donald Penn at Monday's OTA (photo by Cliff Welch / Pewter Report)


Bucs OTA REPORT
In this OTA Notebook, Bucs head coach Raheem Morris addressed the absence of some key Buccaneers including LT Donald Penn, TE Kellen Winslow and RB Derrick Ward. S Sean Jones talked about joining the Buccaneers, and DT Gerald McCoy said he was nervous in his first practice with Tampa Bay's veterans.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris weighed in on some of his missing players after the first OTA (organized team activity) of the offseason. Among the players missing were tight end Kellen Winslow, running back Derrick Ward, and left tackle Donald Penn.

During the end of the 2009 season Morris stressed to his players the necessity for being at the offseason practices. On Monday when talking about his missing players, Morris said he would focus on the players that were in attendance.

"You never want to talk about a guy not being here. I'll just reiterate that this is a voluntary deal," said Morris. "You never want to bad-mouth a guy or anything of that nature on a voluntary workout. You know when a guy needs to spend time with his family, you can't knock him on the head for that vote but Donald Penn needs to see he's the left tackle for our football team. He protects the guy throwing the football. He's no different than any other left tackle in this league. Donald Penn's got to get his head right so when he comes in, he'll be ready to go. We're doing a different approach this year, we're going to coach the guys that are here. We're going to make sure the guys that are here are ready to play. And we hope that when Donald returns to the football team and when he does come back, whenever he comes back, he'll be ready to go."

Penn is planning on sitting out all of the team's OTA practices and possibly the mandatory mini-camp because he is unhappy with his contract. The Bucs are forcing Penn to play another season on a one-year contract worth $3.168 million. Penn wants to stay in Tampa Bay long-term, and wants a multi-year contract that pays market value. That could be around $10 million per season.

If Penn sacrifices $100,000 he could wait to sign his tender contract and holdout until the eve of the regular season. Morris said he tries to avoid getting into the contract problems of his players.

"You know, that's not my cup of tea," said Morris. "You know my job is to coach the football team. My job is to coach the guys that are in the building that are sitting in those seats and that's what I continue to do. Anybody sitting in the seat in front of me, just like now, I'm going to coach you guys up. That's the guys that are going to play."

As the left tackle Penn is charged with protecting the blind side of Buccaneers starting quarterback Josh Freeman. The 27-year old Penn has started 44 straight games for Tampa Bay at the critical position, and has not personally allowed the quarterback to get injured. Freeman was asked if he would like Penn to be practicing with the Buccaneers.

"Yeah, for sure," said Freeman. "I mean Donald's one of my good friends. I talked to him the other day and I mean he wants to be here. He just feels like he's got to work it out and do what's best for him and his family. So right now I'm just working with the guys we have here. That's all you can focus on."

Freeman was very happy with the blocking that Penn provided for him during his rookie season. Penn is planning on doing even better in 2010. Thus far in the offseason Penn has lost 40 pounds, going from 365 to 325 pounds.

"Oh yeah, he's a stud man," said Freeman. "He's one of those guys that I mean if someone takes a cheap shot he's going to be the first guy there trying to get a cheap shot back. And I feel like we've got a lot of passionate guys in the O-line. Donald's right up there with the best of them."

While Freeman does not have his left tackle to work with, he is also missing his leading receiver. Winslow led Tampa Bay with 77 receptions for 884 yards and five touchdowns in 2009. Tampa Bay is also without Ward, the team's backup running back. Ward disappointed in 2009 when he had 409 yards rushing with one touchdown and averaged 3.6 yards per carry.

"Those guys will be here," said Morris. "Obviously it is voluntary. Ward and Winslow have been around a little bit in the offseason program. We've seen them around. They are both working out through injuries, former injuries, getting healthy. I got a feeling you'll see those guys shortly."

Guard Davin Joseph (leg injury), wide receiver Mario Urrutia (right foot), defensive end Erik Lorig (pectoral), and defensive tackle Roy Miller (hamstring) were all out with injuries but were rehabbing during the practice.

The Bucs' first second-round pick in this draft class, UCLA defensive tackle Brian Price, was not able to attend the practice due to NFL rules that force players to wait until their schools have completed the academic year to attend offseason practices.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy #93 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers jogs during the Buccaneers Rookie mini camp at One Buccaneer Place on May 1, 2010 in Tampa, Florida.
McCOY NERVOUS WITH VETERANS
The third-overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft got his first exposure to NFL veterans on Monday. Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said he was nervous for his first workout with the veterans.

"It is cool. Everybody has been welcoming me," said McCoy. "I know I have a lot to learn and I have still have the rookie syndrome of asking a lot of questions. I was nervous to walk here, nervous to take the chinstrap off, and they were just like, 'Relax.' It is a little more laid back here so that is cool."

McCoy gave an evaluation of how he fared going against the seasoned pros like center Jeff Faine.

"I think I did well. I was kind of getting the rookie treatment and was taking all the reps," McCoy said. "I expected it. At the rookie mini-camp I didn't take that many. So they were going to see what I was made of when I got here with the big boys. The heat wasn't the problem today. It was the reps. I'd go eight and rest for three, but there's no complaining. I'm a rookie."

Morris said he wasn't sure that McCoy had the correct math when it came to counting up his reps.

"You know I gotta go check his count," said Morris. "But I'm sure [defensive line coach Todd] Wash – you know is just like any other coach you go out there and you play with your new toy, you like to go play with it a lot. Until you put that little toy in the corner, then you go grab it out of there when you need it. Ronde Barber only took three. You got that little toy in the corner right now. So, I'll have to go check the count."

While McCoy is learning as much as he can, he has two teammates in particular that are helping him make the transition. Miller has been a friend of McCoy's for years and played against him in college when Miller was at rival Texas. McCoy was asked if Joseph was helping him make the same transition that Joseph made four years ago as a first-round pick out of Oklahoma to land in Tampa Bay.

"Yeah he is. Former Sooner. Fellow Sooner, he's showing me the ropes," said McCoy. "Even Roy – even though he's a Longhorn – it's okay. We all make mistakes! He's been helping me out too."
----------------------------------------------------------------

JONES HAPPY TO BE A BUCCANEER
Newly signed safety Sean Jones also had his first workout with his new team on Monday. Jones was one of the few free agents that Tampa Bay signed this year. Last season, Jones started nine games for the Philadelphia Eagles and recorded two interceptions. There were multiple teams that Jones could have signed with, but he chose Tampa Bay.

"You know, I like all of the guys in this organization, my teammates are great," Jones said. "But most of all I wanted to get close to home, down south, I'm from Atlanta so I just want to come down here and play well. Just try to get a championship ‘cause I know that Tampa prides itself on defense. So we are just going to come out here and play ball."

In his career, Jones has been held back by injuries. In 2006 and 2007 with the Cleveland Browns, Jones started all 32 games and had 10 interceptions with 21 passes broken up. Right now Jones said his health is not an issue.

"I feel great, I feel better than I did in the last two years at least," said Jones. "I feel 100 percent. Like I said, [with the injuries] it's just a part of this game you just got to fight through them. Fortunately, I'm still young and I'm fully healthy and I got a lot of years in my belt. But I'm just going to go out there and have fun, and go out there and try and get a championship down here."

Jones is battling Sabby Piscitelli for the starting spot at strong safety. Last season, Piscitelli started all 16 games for Tampa Bay and recorded 91 tackles with two interceptions, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. On Monday, Piscitelli took all the starting reps at strong safety while Jones was running with the second team.

"It's a good competition but if I worry about myself and I just go out there and do what I know I can do, then there's going to be great things for myself," said Jones. "But it's still a team effort so everybody's going to play no matter who's the starter, so everybody's going to play and get their shot to go out there and help this team get a win."

ROSTER MOVE
The Buccaneers announced two roster moves on Monday. Tampa Bay made the signing of Minnesota center Jeff Tow-Arnett official, and also signed Penn State long-snapper Chris Mauriello. In order to make room on the roster the Bucs released wide receiver Damola Adeniji.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lakers Stomped the Suns....Now since everyone seen that comming... GO MAGIC!!! TONIGHT 8:30...ESPN!!! ITS GOING DOWN!!! GOTTA WIN THIS ONE!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dwight Howard Says We NEED TO RESPOND!!! LETS GO!!!

We gotta respond in Game 2!!!
May 17th, 2010
Heeeeeeeyyyy worrrrrrlllllddddd!!!

Well, we lost a tough one on Sunday against the Celtics. Sure, we wanted to go 16-0 in the playoffs, but nobody is perfect. You’re not going to go through the playoffs these days without losing a game; These teams are tough! Losing a game happened, but now it’s all about how we bounce back from it.

Our main goal was to win every quarter and play harder than the other team. The Celtics played harder than us on Sunday and that’s how they won the game.

I know we’ll respond and am not worried one bit. We always find a way to bounce back; I’m confident that we’ll do it again. We understand what we have to do and have already talked about what we need to do to win Game 2. We have to put this game behind us, learn from it, but put it behind us.

Trust me, we knew from experience that this was going to be a really tough series. Boston played great against Cleveland and the Celtics are one of the best defensive teams in the league. They are full of vets who know all the little tricks. We had a tough time with them in the playoffs last season and they were tough every time we played them this season, so we knew this series was going to be a dogfight.

To me, this series is a lot like the Charlotte series in the first round. They have a lot of bigs and a lot of bodies to send at me with Perkins, ‘Sheed, Baby and KG. What they are going to try and do is frustrate me and get in my head. I have to stay focused and not get so frustrated.

I’ve been going up against ‘Sheed for years when he was in Detroit and now in Boston, I know what he’s trying to do out there. Perkins is really strong, but I need to avoid getting in those wrestling matches down low and just use my quickness. When I use my quickness and my moves and we swing the ball, we can get easier shots.
Last night, I was out of rhythm. I have to do a better job of getting it back. Boston plays very physical defense so I have to find ways to get the ball and not get into a wrestling match with those guys.

Magic fans, we’ll be fine. We showed great heart in the fourth quarter coming back the way we did. We might lose a game from time to time, but this Magic team will never quit. We’re going to fight to the final horn.

I think we learned some things in the fourth quarter that will enable us to be a lot better on Tuesday night. We talked as a team in the locker room and nobody was down at all. We’re an upbeat group and one loss doesn’t rattle this team.
We’ll bounce back because we always do. I have faith in my team; we’ll be ready to go. We know what kind of nasty, physical series this is going to be, and we’ll be ready for it.

Peace out and Go Magic!!!
DWIGHT
---------------------------------------------------------------------


Michael Clayton Going BUH BYE???

Clayton: "Regardless of what happens, I'll be on a team next year.'
Embattled receiver Michael Clayton acknowledged Monday that the Bucs' drafting of two receivers and his large contract may put him in jeopardy of making the team.

But after beginning Organized Team Activities as one of the club's starting receivers, he vowed to put in the work and mentor young players as long as the Bucs will have him.

"Business-wise, it could be,'' Clayton said when asked if he was on the bubble. "But I know regardless of what happens, I'll be on a team next year.''

After signing a five-year contract worth nearly $26-million last year, Clayton had his worst season as a pro in 2009, catching 16 passes for 230 yards and one touchdown.

He is expected to fall further down the depth chart after the Bucs used a second round pick on Illinois receiver Arrelious Benn and a fourth-rounder on Maryland receiver Mike Williams. The team also traded for Philadelphia receiver Reggie Brown. Sammie Stroughter (31) and Maurice Stovall (24) were more productive than Clayton last season.

"Every year it's been about work,'' Clayton said. "I've been in a lot of positions where I've had to climb from the bottom of the totem pole. That's no different from this year. I believe in my talents and what I can do to help this football team. I'm here as a mentor, as a leader and I'm going to want to be the starter.''

Clayton indicated a lot of factors conspired to limit his numbers in 2009, including three starting quarterbacks and a change of offensive coordinators when Jeff Jagodzinski was fired 10 days before the start of the regular season.

"We had a lot of things going on last year,'' Clayton said. "I would like to keep last year and let it be last year. We had a young quarterback come in half of the season who didn't get any reps. We had an offensive coordinator who was fired and we were going week-by-week. The positive things we take from last year is that everybody still continued to work. We didn't give up, regardless of the situation.''

What was Clayton's reaction to the Bucs' selecting Benn and Williams?

"Finally, we drafted a receiver,'' Clayton said. "I've been here a long time and we haven't seen many guys drafted at receiver. I'm seven years in and at some point we've got to get the next guys in to be the young faces of this football team. I was fortunate to sign a new deal and I'm going to be here as long as they keep me. The work habits won't change. It's my job to make sure those guys are fully prepared and the best man is going to play.''

The biggest difference in 2010, according to Clayton, is that Josh Freeman is established as the Bucs' starting quarterback. The continuity at that position should help the Bucs receivers.

"I think now when you have a quarterback that's set and going to be the guy, we haven't had that consistency in a long time,'' Clayton said. "At wide receiver, that plays a huge part in what goes on at the perimeter. And Five (Freeman) is making that easy on all of us. It's going to boil down to who's out there at the specific time to make plays. The ball is definitely going to be thrown and we're all going to have opportunities.''


dude gets tackled at rays game.

No comments:

Post a Comment